Fancy a sweet and savory lunch that is ready in 15 minutes? If the answer is yes, then this recipe is for you!
I love switching up my lunch from day to day as it’s important to keep you going through the day. My grandmother (aka “mammie”) makes these very simple toasts with pear, ham and cheese. So yummy when it’s savory because of the ham and the cheese and sweet because of the pear at the same time. And, it’s super easy to make them in less than 15 minutes. Add a simple side salad and you’re ready to conquer the afternoon. Read along for the recipe!
For the toast:
- Whole grain toast bread
- Ham of choice (I used salty dried ham but cooked ham is as good)
- Slices of cheese of choice (leftover from raclette or slices of emmentaler or whatever you fancy in slices)
- 1 can of pears
For the side salad:
- Arugula salad
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- Balsamic vinegar
- Cover a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Lay out slices of toast bread onto the baking tray.
- Begin to layer the bread with ham.
- Then add pear. I used 3/4 of a pear per toast.
- Cover the pear with one slice of cheese.
- Now put the baking tray in the oven on 180°C for about 10 minutes or until the cheese has completely melted and turns slightly golden brown.
- While it’s baking, wash the arugula salad and the cherry tomatoes. Let it dry and cut the tomatoes in half.
- Toss the salad and the chopped cherry tomatoes in a bowl and sprinkle some balsamic vinegar over it. Stir well and your salad is ready.
- By now the toasts should normally be done. Take them carefully out of the oven and enjoy a nice lunch!
Let me know what you think in the comment section below or tag me on Instagram @afoodiesworldcom!