Healthy pumpkin spiced muffins
When I was on holiday in Canada, we met a Dutch family who owns a big farm. With more than 400 cows, they provide the Alberta region with milk. We had a tour on the farm and sat down to drink some tea or coffee with homemade muffins. This was the first time ever I ate pumpkin spiced muffins and I loved every single bite of it! Luckily, I received the recipe to make it at home. However, a lot of sugar and oil was used in the recipe and I wanted to make a tasty, but healthier version of it.
This recipe is my healthy take on the Canadian pumpkin spiced muffins. I love it and I hope you do too. It’s the perfect treat for autumn!
Ingredients (for 9 muffins):
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 12 tbsp water
- 200g oats (or oat flour)
- 425g of pumpkin cubes
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tbsp speculaas spices
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4tbsp maple syrup
- 100g raisins
- You will also need a silicone muffin tray!
- In this recipe, we are not using eggs. To replace the eggs we will use “chia eggs” by mixing 4 tbsp of chia seeds with 12 tbsp of water. Stir well and put it in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven on 180°C.
- Mix the oats in a food processor until you have oat flour. Transfer to a big bowl and add in the cinnamon, speculaas spices, baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Then put the pumpkin cubes in the food processor and mix until you have a pumpkin puree. Add it to the dry mixture.
- Add in the maple syrup and stir everything together until fully combined.
- Take the chia eggs out of the fridge and mix it in with the rest of the batter.
- Lastly, add in the raisins and mix everything together for one last time.
- Scoop the batter out into your muffin tray. I could fill a tray with 9 muffin tins. Since we are not using any oil or butter in this recipe, a silicone muffin tray or silicone muffin tins is what you will need. When using paper muffin tins, the muffins will stick to the paper and it will not be easy for you to eat them.
- Place the muffin tray into the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
I hope you enjoy these muffins as much as I do! It’s perfect for an autumnal day, together with a cup of tea.
Let me know what you think in the comment section below or tag me on Instagram @afoodiesworldcom!